The Builders Lodge Community Involvement
“ No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another”
As a part of who we are, we want to make a positive contribution to our community.
We are a fraternity with secrets, but the fact that we exist in our community and our world is not a secret to anyone.
We are The Builders Lodge and as such we are called to build up and not tear down. Our Lodge was started by the builders of our Federal Parliament Buildings in 1865 , and their skill and talent continue as symbols of our city and nation to this day.
Other generations of our Lodge helped to open the Glebe Centre for seniors on Bank Street here in Ottawa . More recently we have added other bricks to the structure around us by contributing to the works of the:
- expansion of the Elizabeth Bruyere Palliative Care Centre in downtown Ottawa,
- Masonic Foundation of Ontario,
- higher education of members’ children and grand-children through the Dobbie Trust Fund,
- support to community minded medical students through at the University of Ottawa, and
- very personal and heart felt support of the effort to find a cure for Cancer, by entering a team in the Canadian Cancer Society’s Relay for Life held in our community.
- Harmony House – a shelter for battered women and families
- Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind
This list gives you a sense of how we are helping to build up the community around us. You’ll find even more detailed information in the pages that follow. We hope these pages give you a sense of who we are and what we value.