Len Potechin is an active member of the Ottawa community. He has been setting an example for how a leading member of the business community can and should contribute to the community. Len started a real estate company 50 years ago which has grown over the years to be a landmark in the region. Since then he has had numerous business interests, including a golf course.
For much of his career he has been a leader and has held numerous association positions and received many awards. Len has served in senior positions such as Chairman of the Ottawa-Carleton Board of Trade (now Chamber of Commerce) and Chairman of Ottawa-Carleton Economic Development Corporation (OCEDCO). This leadership has led to numerous awards for Len including:
- Business Person of the Year Ottawa-Carleton Board of Trade
- B’nai Brith Citizen of the Year
- Community Builder Award
Notwithstanding his busy professional life, Len has always made the time to quietly and diligently devote himself to community activities. His deep feelings for humanity have involved him in positive and effective action to ensure a better quality of life for the less fortunate. A few of the ways Len has contributed are:
- Past President of the John Howard Society
- Past Director of the United Way of Ottawa-Carleton
- Involved in fundraising campaign for a Youth Hostel on Nicholas street
- Supported the development of Silver Spring Farms, a vocational centre for the mentally handicapped
- Member of the Board of City Living (City of Ottawa non-profit rent-income housing)
- Royal Canadian Naval Reserves (during WWII)
As you can see above, Len lives the ideals of a freemason. Along with being a past master of The Builders Lodge, he is also a Past Grand Pursuivant of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario. For the past number of years, Len has been very active as a Shriner and loves seeing the kids at the Shriners Circus. A strong motivator for him is the children helped at the Shriners hospitals.
Family is extremely important to Len and he shares his life with his lovely wife, Mary. Together they have 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren.